Charles studied Philosophy, Politics and Economics at Oxford University. He qualified as a barrister in 1988. He worked as a legal adviser in HM Treasury dealing with a wide range of financial services regulatory matters (UK and EU). In 1996 he started private practice as a barrister, specialising in financial services law and regulation, and providing company/commercial advice. He has also participated in many projects providing assistance to emerging economies with legal and regulatory reform and improvements in the business environment, including:
- Advising in the context of a EuropeAid project on the legal aspects of structures to provide investment to Turkish SMEs (e.g. investment funds, open-ended investment companies etc.). Involved inter alia dealing with private firms, banks, Turkish administration and European Investment Bank.
- Advising in the context of a EuropeAid project and a World Bank project on the legal and institutional reforms in financial and banking sectors in preparation for and following Vietnam’s accession to the World Trade Organisation. Involved inter alia dealing with public and private Vietnamese financial institutions and the Vietnamese administration/regulators.
- Advising in the context of an Asian Development Bank project in Uzbekistan on the policy and legal framework for business and foreign direct investment, drawing up outline legislation and legal reforms to ameliorate the climate for business and foreign direct investment. Involved inter alia dealing with private investors in Uzbekistan and foreign owned enterprises and the Uzbek administration.
- Advising in the context of a EuropeAid project on reforms in the securities/financial services areas, particularly investment funds and providing draft legislation for adoption by the administration. Involved inter alia dealing with private enterprises, private funds in Kyrgyzstan and Kyrgyz administration/regulators.
- Advising in the context of a EuropeAid project on outline reforms in the securities/financial services sectors to improve transparency and corporate governance. Involved inter alia dealing with private investors (Kazakh and foreign) and Kazakh National Securities Commission.