Consultant: Business Environment Reform Expert
MDY Legal is seeking a consultant to undertake consulting roles which involve assessing the investment and business climate in developing countries and recommending reforms to those enabling environments for the implementation of successful infrastructure and other investment programmes and projects (including PPP projects).
- Provide investment and business enabling environment advice to clients either alone or as part of multi-disciplinary consulting teams. Clients can include donors, development finance institutions and implementing governments and government agencies. Advice can include consulting in relation to the establishment of infrastructure and other investment programmes (including PPPs) and analysing the relevant investment and business environments to assess whether they are able to support private sector involvement. The relevant enabling environment has to minimize the possibility of corruption and be sufficiently reliable to encourage private sector participation and investment. Advice may need to be provided (or the provision of advice from other advisors effectively managed) to cover the investment and business climate governing land, development and urban planning, construction permits, environmental, companies, SMEs, insolvency, labour market, banking, public procurement, health & safety, exchange control, tax etc.
- Assist in the recruitment, contracting and management of a “Panel” of other consultants and/or employees of MDY Legal who specialise in consulting and advising in the above specialist areas and in different sectors including power, water & sanitation, agriculture, transport, cities etc.
- Review or oversee review of local legislation, decrees, constitutional documents, regulations and agreements which relate to investment programmes and projects.
- Prepare reports on the analysis and assessments undertaken with recommendations for amendments and reform to enhance the enabling environments or address other client requirements.
- Liaise with advisors in relevant jurisdictions to conduct the relevant assessments and prepare the relevant reports.
- Assist MDY Legal to identify, track and pursue opportunities for the provision of the above types of consultancy work. Lead, draft and manage tenders in response to Invitations to Tender for consultancy programmes and projects. When awarded such work manage the contracting of MDY Legal either as lead contractor or subcontractor. Manage the delivery of the consultancy services in accordance with all contractual requirements.
- Support the senior members of MDY Legal in the development of MDY Legal’s consultancy practice
Skills and Experience:
A minimum of 8-10 years’ specialist knowledge and experience of business environment analysis and reform work
- Significant consultancy experience in developing countries
- Ability to cross a range of disciplines (experience of land planning / construction permitting / governance and contract issues highly desirable) and market sectors including infrastructure project finance
- Good project management skills
- Good client and stakeholder relationship building skills and effective communication with clients, project teams and business managers
- Attention to detail and a well organised approach to work
- Analytical and problem-solving skills
- Knowledge of infrastructure and emerging markets
Educational Qualifications: Degree
Foreign travel may be required
MDY Legal is committed to a policy of equal opportunities and fairness. The Firm’s recruitment practices will not discriminate on any grounds, including on the ground of sex, marital or civil partnership status, race, colour, nationality or racial/national origins, religion or belief, disability, sexual orientation, gender re-assignment and age. Job selections will be made on the basis of suitability for the post and the Firm will use its best endeavours to ensure that no prospective applicants are discouraged or excluded, directly or indirectly.
CVs and personal information submitted to MDY Legal by applicants for roles within the firm will be held in accordance with data protection law and the MDY Operating Policies and Procedures.
In considering your application we may also obtain information from third party sources, including any referees that you specify, educational institutions and publicly available sources.
If you have any questions about the storage and processing of your personal information or our recruitment processes please send an email to Recruitmentgroup@mdy.co.uk.
Internships and Work Experience
From time to time, MDY Legal runs internship and work experience programmes, working in a specific area of the business and contributing as part of the team. Throughout the placement you will be given feedback to ensure you have meaningful experience that will enhance your employability and skills.
These internships are appropriate for applicants with a minimum 2:1 degree in a relevant subject (such as international development, law, engineering or business). If you are interested about learning more, please send an email with your CV and a covering letter to Recruitmentgroup@mdy.co.uk.